Search This Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2014

New Writers

Hey little ho, bros (and ladies)!

So, after those two eventful weeks I wrote about in my last blog, I had a rather average week of work, writing, and what not. Work was work; I had two night shifts this week, which wasn't so bad, and I've been working my hardest while trying to help the store out. I also had to do the music section again for one night shift, which same with the weekly look-over through the CDs for rogue labels. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, if I haven't said so already, but I did discover how I hate being interrupted when in the middle of this. I work slow because I'm thorough, so I only have a matter of time before the store closes to get this done, and the moment I feel like I've gotten into a groove and rhythm of doing things, someone breaks my concentration by asking them if I need help. And of course I help them, because I do want to help them, but it only adds a bit more stress to getting the look-over done on time. Not that it really mattered last night; apparently the store was so messy outside the music department we couldn't even finish straightening up before our boss took mercy on us and sent us home before it got too late. It'll take some practice, but I think I'll get better with CD look-overs.

Editing went incredibly well this week in that I don't have to edit a certain writer anymore. Basically, I got tired of working with the girl who was always sending her stuff in late, and told my boss as such. She agreed with me that it wasn't fair, so I now have new writers. Their skills are excellent (I won't say perfect; I am an editor, after all), but it does feel like there's not much to complain about on the weekly comment sheet I send to my boss. Which just goes to show how good they are. This week some of the articles I edited were about the perfect colors for fall, Fashion Week, in Paris, Milan, and London. and how a doll magazine can inspire Halloween costumes. If you haven't checked out "The Fashion Foot" yet, do so now!

No news on the writing front, so let's discuss another character from Burn in Light. This week is Jaeger, Enid's grumpy exorcist mentor. Like her, he's half human and half ghost, and he's a member of the Council, which is basically the government that looks after ghosts and exorcists: keeping the two worlds in balance, making new discoveries about ghosts, keeping track of new exorcists and assigning them teachers, etc. The Council is incredibly secretive, keeping all but the most need to know info from the public (thanks to some incredibly outdated rule of 'if no one knows, nothing can happen') and therefore Jaeger is not the most open person, which leads to some tension between him and Enid. Their relationship is complicated, but Enid still respects and likes him somewhat, and Jaeger willing to break the rules and give her pieces of info time to time whenever he shows up to check in on things.

And that's that for this week.

Weekly (Dis)Likes:

Like 1: It's October! The month of Fall, Halloween, and my birthday; how can this not be my favorite time of the year?

Like 2: 30 Seconds to Mars. Love this band, and Jared Leto is one of my celebrity crushes (love him in Dallas Buyers Club, though I hoped he's cut his hair since we saw him at the Oscars). The point is I was lucky to find their CD This is War in B&N's bargain CD bin for $4.99, and now I have very happy ears. :)

Dislike 1: I need to add another question to the list of stupid question people ask me when I'm at work: "Do you work here?" No, I don't, I just like wearing this B&N nametag for fun! Yes, maybe they don't notice it right away, but it's still one of those things you just want to roll your eyes at. :P

And quote!

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." -John Quincy Adams

Bye,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment