Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Insert STAR WARS Theme Song Here

In a galaxy far, far away ...

Actually, let's stick with the Milky Way. I'm no space explorer, though I wouldn't turn down the chance to discover/live on a new planet as long as the natives were friendly.

If you're wondering where all the space jargon's coming from, we had a Star Wars theme event day at B&N this week. Some of the events were three rounds of trivia, each one harder than the last, and for the kids there were activity sheets, bowling, a build-your-own-R2D2 table, and storytime in the kid's section. Unfortunately, Star Wars Day went completely unappreciated by the customers; NO ONE took part in the trivia, and I can count on one hand the amount of kids who colored, bowled, and built (not counting me; I made an R2D2 because I was the one told to keep an eye on the table and I was the one who cut out all the shapes in the first place). So I got a free Christmas tree ornament and a easy work day consisting of me watching the table when not putting away books and/or reading the backs of books I considered interesting, but I do wish the customers could've participated a little more. With all the people in the store doing early holiday shopping, you'd think we'd have a bunch of participates. Ah, what can you do?

The people I'm now editing for in my internship are very different from the others I used to look over, not just because they don't post their stuff late. Two of my three new writers actually write, as in their articles actually look like articles and aren't a few sentences separated by a bunch of pictures. Now it's starting to feel more like working an internship, but it's better because these articles are actually reporting on something (not to mention the pictures they include add to what they're talking about and look really good). Not that the third short writer doesn't do her job; it's nice I don't have to do three writer's worth of block paragraphs.

And since I'm talking about the daddy of all sci-fi this post, I'll mention my own sci-fi story MOA-27, which is the one about the cyborg in the post-apocalyptic city trying to get her memories back. According to the chapter outline I wrote, I'm about halfway through, and right now I'm currently in the middle in a fight scene. Our heroine has just gotten a major hit from the other cyborg she's fighting, and she's just getting out of her daze to see one friend panicking and the other one fighting the enemy cursing up a storm. And this is only the beginning of the fight; it needs to go on for a few more pages, and it terrifies me. Fight scenes are REALLY hard to write because you have to visualize it as you write so you know what's going one, there's the laws of physics to obey if you want it to sound real, you need a basic knowledge of fighting terms so you know different types of punches and stuff, AND you have to make sure you aren't using the same words/descriptions over and over to the point you don't want to read anymore (by the way, this is my advice to those who want to write fighting scenes). I've written my fair share, and read more than enough fight scenes (thank you fan fiction!), so that helps some. But I can't deny the feeling of relief I get when the fighting's over with and I can get on to the next exciting bit.

Weekly (Dis)Likes:

Like 1: I saw this on the employee comment board:


Thank you! I try my hardest!

Like 2: The little cross my grandparents gave me. They went to visit Grandpa's alma mater Notre Dame this week and brought me back a souvenir. It's a cross that can fit into the palm of my hand, and it's made of walnut with a sycamore bird on it. It was made by Grandpa's classmate Moore McDonough who makes them from fallen trees on the Notre Dame campus, and it's very beautiful. Thanks grandparents!

Like 3: I had dinner with some of my grandparents' friends again. It was simple pizza, but it was a good meal with some really entertaining and nice people.

Like 4: The Royals and their winning streak. Go Royals! (If they win the whole thing, I swear someone's going to make a movie out of it in the future).

Dislike 1: The fact barely anyone took part in Star Wars Day.

Dislike 2: Car accidents. There was an accident on my way to work one day this week because someone in front of me slid into the bumper of the car in front of it thanks to all the rain we've had recently. It was a simple matter of driving around it, and police were there to help, but I don't want to think about how that could've been me. 

And quote:

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda, Star Wars. (I just had to.)

See ya,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment