Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2014

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas (and it's not even Thanksgiving Yet!)

Hi ho diggity!!!

Things are picking up at the B&N. All the Christmas came out so fast, you wouldn't believe Halloween stuff had even been placed out in the first place. Christmas themed price signs are up, deals are out, and people were everywhere during last night's shift. Not that I was at the cash register - I was on patrol on the second floor - but I honestly think that was the most full I've ever seen the place. And there were plenty of book stacks left behind that I got to clean up, but even worse than that was that I think I found my first bit of evidence for a store theft. I was cleaning the kid's section, and in some corner I found one of those plastic and cardboard boxes for a Disney figurine. The doll itself and the clothes were missing, but some of the other parts were left behind, which I can't help but find weird because if you're going to steal something, wouldn't you take the whole thing? Anyway, I dropped the evidence off in the back room, but I don't know what can be done about it. It's hard to trust people to do the right thing these days, isn't it?

But it wasn't all bad at the store this week. I got to go off the beaten trail and do something different, and that was creating the stocking stuffer display. One of my bosses positioned the stand and gave me boxed of little goodies and a handout of where went what, and it was fun; kinda like putting a puzzle together. Not to mention some of the stuffers look really awesome. For example, there was a frog-shaped tea diffuser, and a multi-pronged charging cord for all sorts of devices, and a little light up bottle stopper that turns an empty bottle into a lamp. Very cool, and certainly things I would want to see in my own stocking (hint, hint).

Editing is going well. I'm back to two writers this week, so it's been relatively easy getting everything looked over. Not to mention my favorite writer and her short but sweet articles. But something both my writers need to work on is using contractions. You know, like 'can't' and 'would've'? Both of them don't, and it's driving me nuts a little because that's not how people talk, and it makes their writing sound weird and helps to ruin good sentence flow. I've made a note of it this week, and hopefully they'll get it and listen.

Let's look at another character from M.O.A-27. Remember last week when I mentioned the person helping out our heroine? Here's his introduction. I give you Shawney Rohart, hologram genius extraordinaire. A few years out of college, he's the boss and owner of Rohart's Repairs and can fix pretty much anything, though holograms are his specialty. The only family he has is his lazy cousin Len, and knows a lot about M.O.A-27's (we'll call her Moa from here on) past life. He considers her his friend, despite the difference between the two (Moa makes sure to point that out), and is more than willing to help her uncover the scandal that made Moa into a cyborg. He is a nerd completely, and I love him for it. Hopefully you will too when you read him in action.

Now to the Weekly (Dis)Likes!

Like 1: Making the display. See above.

Like 2: Halloween! I love this day, and even though I spent it handing out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that came buy, I still had fun with my costume:

What a wonderful ghoul am I, huh? It's cool what you can do with art supplies and clothes from your closet.

Like 3: Candy. Got plenty to eat since not a lot of kid showed up. Yum!

Like 4: Christmas fair at the local church. My grandma and I went, and it was nice. It wasn't horribly big, but there was some really interesting merchandise, like magazine papercraft crosses and some absolutely beautiful jewellery. I didn't pick up anything, but my grandma got some present for some special people who will really like them!

Dislike 1: THE ROYALS LOSING THE WORLD SERIES. All I will say is the fact we got that far to begin with will always be a bigger victory than the stupid Giants actually winning the thing!!

Dislike 2: Finding evidence for a store theft for the first time. Sad. :(

Dislike 3: The lag time when I'm trying to watch a Youtube video on my phone. When I'm driving in my car, that's what I use when I want to listen to a certain song, and the pauses and feedback loss that make me have to play it again or wait are awful. What's with the cruddy connection!?

And quote!

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too." -Anne Frank

See ya,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment