Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2014

Work Method Update!

Good day, peeps!

So work was good this week in the sense that nothing horrible happened. I did my shifts, worked hard, got a few people to renew their memberships, and things like that. But this week the whole store had a meeting to discuss store proceedings during the holiday season, and it was surprisingly okay. Everyone actually met up an hour before the meeting and had a pizza party, where not only pizza was ordered, but my coworkers brought their own food and drinks in, and it was GOOD. Chocolate-covered strawberries, gingerbread, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies; I could go on about all the sweets, but I'll stop here before I give us all diabetes (I think the healthiest thing I ate that night was some tasty chicken salad). Afterwards the entire staff got split up into groups and we met with the managers to discuss how to handle things during the business season. A lot of it was stuff I'd already heard of, but there was also a lot of things, like book-selling terms, that I'd forgotten or weren't sure about, so it was a nice little party and refresher course, and now I'm better prepared to take the holiday season on!

Things with the internship are going along swimmingly. Once again I had a light workload this week, which is always nice, and I had some pretty interesting articles, like a list of ways to wear a scarf. Nothing to complain about here; I really like this internship and I'm happy to have found it.

And with no news on the writing front, other than I'm still chugging away at my sci-fi novel, so time for another character discussion. This time we have Len Graink, Shawney's younger cousin and his partner at Rohart Repairs. Despite the partnership and being almost as brilliant as Shawney when it comes to mechanical know-how, Len does barely any work and is probably the laziest guy you'll ever meet, preferring to nap on the couch (which he is very protective of). He's also an incredible pessimist who can be rather negative and rather religious; he's a follower of the Sololism faith (which basically believe God is real but abandoned the world after he made it), and one big point with Sololism is the distrust of highly advanced machinery, like cyborgs. Thus, Len doesn't like Moa very much despite her being made from the body of his old friend, and this causes some arguments between Len and Shawney. But for all his bad points, Len loves Shawney very much and is loyal to him, and he does his best to do the right thing, so when Shawney does help Moa with finding out what Dr. Bentwood is up with, Len helps out, knowing if he doesn't things could go very bad for all of Renatola.

And that's all, folks!

Weekly (Dis)Likes:

Like 1: Seeing my good friend Elle while working. We were friends in high school, and I haven't seen her since graduation. She looked good, though, and she's having a wonderful life with graduate school and being engaged to her high-school sweetheart (who's a very good guy and they both deserve each other in the best way possible). Made my day a lot better. Great seeing you, Elle!

Like 2: My new coworker Runa. She just started working at the B&N, and I met her this week when she was practicing with the cash register at the mall cash wrap where I was stationed that day. She asked all the right questions, I gave her a few tips, and we had a nice conversation about our favorite books (we both like fantasy a lot). I look forward to working with her, especially after the favor she did for me, which is explained in Dislike 1.

Dislike 1: Car problems. No, I didn't crash, but I did accidentally leave my headlights on when I went to work one night (it was actually the same night as the employee meeting). When I was done, the car wouldn't start, and despite having some jumper cables on me, I didn't completely remember the instructions Dad gave me when I first got them. But I did remember my AAA Roadside Assistance card, and I was able to call them and have one of their guys stop buy who jump-started my battery. Runa stayed with me the whole time and let me sit in her heated car while I waited, so I didn't get cold, and in the end everything worked out and I got home safely. Thank goodness!

And quote!

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" -Mary Anne Radmacher

Bye,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment