Search This Blog

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Car Troubles and Other Stupid Stuff

Hey everyone. (Sigh). Hope you've had a better week then I've had. Not that it's all been bad, but I think plenty of us know how one bad day can ruin all the others.

But I'll get to that later. Work was normal this week; I worked hard, and did a really good job promoting the book drive B&N's doing. If I didn't touch on it in last week's blog, B&N as a corporate group does a nation wide book drive at all its stores, and this year the charity/organization they're helping is Reach Out and Read. It's an early literacy and school prep charity that promotes reading by working with doctors and their child patients by providing books for the doctors to give to the kids every time they come in for their yearly from birth until age five, while the doctors talk to the parents about the importance of reading while suggesting that the parents make a habit out reading aloud to their kids.  These books the kids get can sometimes be the only books they have access to, so it's a good charity to help with, and I was able to both days when I was on cash register duty. There was one sour point at work this week, though. The books we're promoting come in English, Spanish, and bilingual, and one woman donator didn't realize that until I pulled the book she chose off the shelf and showed it to her. Seeing it was bilingual, she quickly changed her mind, choosing an English only book, muttering about how we 'didn't need any more Spanish speakers' out there. I, of course, was disgusted by this, but I just kept smiling until she left. But really! What's wrong with Spanish speakers? What's wrong with people who speak another language? If I wouldn't have gotten into trouble for it, I would've actually shown my disgust, but as it stands, I just have to remind myself that not everyone thinks like that and those that are racist are wrong.

And that's work for you.

Internship-wise, I got a bit of a break this week. According to one of my two writers, her laptop broke, thus losing her articles for this week and leaving me with no material to send (I say according because 'who knows what really happened', as my boss says). So I only had to look over two articles, one being about the responsibilities that come with beauty and the other on a necklace for Esty.com. These came from the writer who usually has typing problems, but she showed some improvement by actually providing pictures and fixing some formatting issues that had appeared in her earlier articles Good job (and I promise I'm not being sarcastic).

The next character we're meeting this week is one lovely lady named Ursele Cady. She's Moa's best female friend who works in a very fancy catering business, and thus her manner is quite proper; she's a clean freak and hates dirt and disorderly conduct, preferring activities like reading, tea-drinking, and other feminine activities. This, of course, leads to many clashes between her and our final member of this group of five (who I haven't introduced yet) because he's disorder personified, and is also blessed with being the one person who can really piss Ursele off. Manners aside, she has a wicked temper when provoked, and is a lot stronger than she seems; she doesn't like fighting, but will protect herself by beating the crap out of any unfortunate idiot who picks a fight with her. She's more than happy to help Shawney and Moa take down Moa's creator, using her links in the entertainment/clientele business to find out important info on the higher ups. All in all, she's truly the mother of the group; sweet and kind to her friends, but a living terror when that peace is interrupted by either outer or inner forces.

Now, my Weekly (Dis)Likes:

Like 1: Meeting my quota for donation books. I'm doing good while doing a good job. :)

Like 2: Dinner with an old friend. Out of the blue this week I got a call from a family friend who wanted to see if we could go out to dinner together. We did, going to a Mexican joint not too far from the house where we both had delicious fish tacos and caught on things. Her family is doing well, and it was just nice to see her and talk with her. Thanks, Mrs. Maginn!

Dislike 1: Racist book woman. See above for more info.

Dislike 2: MORE CAR TROUBLE. My temporary license for my car was going to expire soon, so I thought to drive out to the DMV and get a permanent one. This is how it went; I drove to the address my dad gave me, only to find out I'd driven out out of my jurisdiction and told to go to a more local location (thanks a lot, Dad). I do, but it turns out that DMV only works with driver licenses, not license plates, and give me another address. I finally get to the third spot, and after waiting three hours while doing stuff on my laptop, I'm told that I can't get my license because I'm missing a few signatures from dad and you apparently need to get your car checked over and have the report with you to get your license, NONE OF WHICH I KNEW. Which leads to me having a nervous breakdown in front of the desk lady and ends with me discovering for the second time in a week, my car battery is dead and me calling AAA for help again. The only bright side to any of this was getting an extension on my temporary license, so at least I'm not breaking the law. But I'm going to try again this week, and this time I WILL walk out with my permanent license! HEAR ME ROAR!!!!

And quote. 

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

With hope for better days,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment