Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Hey-yo! I know I'm a day late; I blame the internship and all the editing I had to do on Sunday.

Work was normal this week, which basically means no crazy/interesting customers, no grand theft bookstore, and no memberships sold. However, I did, after a very long drought, got more than just emails one day when I managed to sell both a Kids' Club card and a special offer (this special offer being half off a kid's picture book with purchase of another picture book), so I do feel somewhat accomplished this week. The only other thing I can make a note of is one of my managers showing me a new guidebook which I looked through one day when I was working the mall cash register. It touched on some things I didn't know (or forgot), but other stuff seemed to be geared towards employees with a higher position. Which, when I think about it, would be nice. I'd like a full time job in Barnes and Noble and be surrounded by books all day, though I think I'd prefer a customer service or 2nd floor job over cashier if it was full time. :)

My internship was normal this week, though once again my two regular writers didn't listen to me at all. I know I've griped about it before, and I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why they, as writers, won't at least think about the advice I, their editor, am giving, and more important why they can't do their best to make their drafts as close to perfect as possible. I mean, when I was writing and rewriting SWAMP ANGEL, I made sure to do my best with my spelling, grammar, and sentence flow because I didn't want to give Rich-the-editor a sloppy mess to work with; that felt rude and disrespectful to me. But am I the one in the wrong? An editor's job is supposed to fix mistakes in a piece, so does it not matter what state a written work is in since I'm supposed to correct it all anyway? I don't know, but I do know I'm not giving up on this internship; it's given me a lot of good experience. And my newbie writer listens to my advice, not to mention my boss is on my side, so I guess everything's pretty good after all.

In M.O.A-27, it's the return of M.O.A-35! Nah, just kidding, but Moa has reminded everyone that she has 35's head with her, and she's suggesting that they somehow hook Moa up to 35 and see what can be learned from the other cyborg's central processor. It's a good idea, but Shawney's slightly hesitant because he's the eletronics guy but has never worked with what Moa's made of. Of course, she says she'll help, and he'll accept it, but is there another reason behind his nervousness? Hmm ... (strokes imaginary beard and smiles mysteriously)

Weekly (Dis)Likes:

Like 1: I went to my first official Royals baseball game (and no, the one in Arizona doesn't count because it was a practice game). It was awesome; the seats were good and we won, but there was also some fighting in between the Royal and the Athletics with hitting players with balls and lots of booing from the audience. That was actually kinda exciting (because I've never seen anything like it), but I hope the other teams we play aren't

Like 2: I've found out who my advisor is for UMKC. I've also got my list of classes for Fall term, so now it's time to pick what I want to learn next. Some of them sound like classes I took at Knox, so I'm torn between sticking with what I know or trying something else.

Dislike 1: Return of the Metro Fee paperwork! All right, it wasn't that bad, but it turned out I'd left out some paperwork for my application to get in state tuition, so I had to send them some more stuff. Kinda annoying, but at least the parents and grandparents were around to help!

And quote!

"There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast." -Charles Dickens

See ya,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment