Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

I'm Back (Again)

I know, my public. I'd said I was back, and then I end up being gone the whole month of July due to a mixture of no Internet access, internship work, and summer laziness (enjoy it while you can before going back to school!). But now I'm here, and a lot of stuff has happened since my last post. So much, I think I'll combine it with my Weekly (Dis)Like to make The List of Good and Bad Stuff that Happened While I was gone (not as catchy, but it'll work).

1. Book stuff first, and the biggest was getting my bogey copy of SA. Basically it's the manuscript printed in book format before its officially done, and it looked great. Most importantly, it felt great holding it IN MY HANDS for the first time ever.

2. Just recently got a box in the mail of a whole bunch of SA professional promotional bookmarks. I'm planning to try and get around to as many libraries and bookstore, independent and big, and ask if I can leave them a little pile. It's rather nerve-racking, but it's all going to pay off if it brings more popularity to my book.

3. Rewrote SA's manuscript for hopefully the last time. It is possible to get sick of your own book, as I've discovered. :P Hopefully I won't have to do it again.

4. I've also been working on my elevator prompt for my next book, BURN IN LIGHT, a story involving ghosts and exorcists. Me and my family friend/editor have been working on it for a few weeks. It's longer than it should be because of all the details in the story line, but Leticia says it's okay. Can't wait to send it to her.

5. Speaking of sending, finally managed to mail most of the promotional bracelets I made for SA giveaways. Hoped Rich likes them.

6. SA has been officially tested by the young adult crowd. My aunt's family came in for a week for a visit, and my two cousins (15 and 12) got to read the bogey copy. Both of them said it was very good (and they weren't just saying that because I'm their cousin). So it seems the crowd it's intended for likes it!

7. Life is good at the internship. I think I told you about that? Anyway, the work is good, the people are better, and I've really learned what it's like to working in a publishing company. Couldn't have asked for a better internship.

8. I had an interview with a recruiting head at a big publisher based in Kansas City. I was very nervous, but Micky was very nice, and I did a wonderful job and I was very proud of myself. He also was interested in SA as well. I hope I can get a job in the publisher once I graduate from college (he really made it sound like I had a chance).

And that's everything that's been happening. Book wise, I finished GOTH GIRL RISING, as well as another book, PLAYING WITH THE BOYS. GOTH GIRL was better to me because I liked the characters more; Kyra was kick-ass and sometimes I wish I could be as brave as she is. Not that PLAYING was bad. It's about a girl who makes her school's football team, and it was interesting to read it from a feminist point of view. Why can't girls play football, right? I just wish the author could've gone into that a little bit more.

Now I'm reading PSYCH-MAJOR SYNDROME, where the main character, Leigh, is a psychology college student trying to deal with personal problems. Roommate Ami is the best, but maybe that's because we're both studying art. But she is cool, unlike Leigh's jerk boyfriend Andrew. As for Leigh herself, a lot of her habits are weird (like super procrastinating on a paper), but she seems nice enough.

All right, that's all. I WILL BE BACK next week with another post, and I mean it. I'll make my mother watch me over my shoulder if I have to. And quote!


Bye-bye,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment