Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Writer Tips #1

Nothing really grand to report this week except that no other publishing companies made any offers (I'm looking at you, Harper Collins!). They did give feedback and praise, however, and that's always good to hear and to reenforce my belief that I CAN write, and that's not just something the family says to make me feel good!

All jokes aside (because that is a joke), I figure that as long as I have this blog, I might as well post some tips/tricks for all the writers out there reading this. I'm no expert, but I know I would've loved some beginning novelist looking over my shoulder telling me how to improve my writing and whatnot. And even if you aren't planning to become a professional writer, it never hurts to improve this important skill. :)

SO TIP NUMBER ONE IS (insert drumroll) ...

Read more books!

Yes, I know this might be obvious. Yes, I know it may seem like it has nothing to do with writing. But it does! Reading more books gives you different types of writing styles to examine and practice to see if it fits you. Reading also increases your vocabulary, thus giving you more words to work with. You experience different characters, learn proper grammar (which I have found many do not know of), learn how to make good dialogue and plot, etc. The list can go on and on.

I know I wouldn't be the writer I am today if I hadn't read and dreamed over so many books in my youth. Heck, I might've not even wanted to be a writer (oh the humanity!)! I owe a lot to books; paper or digital (I prefer paper), they are a treasure that everyone, writer or not, should expose themselves to.

Signing off,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment